St. Mary’s Church Drumeela
Drumeela church was in 1824 by Fr.Patrick Maguran PP. without seating and had only a clay floor. It is taught that St. Mary’s Church Drumeela was built to replace the Old Aughabui Chapel near Corcar. It is believed that construction of a building of this size in the 1800’s would have a mammoth task undertaken with little resources, work would have been in progress for a number of year at least. While it is claimed that the corner stones for the church were taken from quarries, most of the stones were collected around the fields locally. Major reconstruction work has been carried out on the chapel to include a new roof and a new alter in recent years.
Aughabui Chapel or Mass House is located at Curcar near Drumeela. The old site is on land that was owned by Terry Reilly, who kindly donated the site to parish. In the Jubilee year 2000 the Teach Duchais Committee sought ideas for a suitable monument to mark the site of the Old Aughabui Chapel. Tommy McCartin, a member of the Teach Duchais Committee located an old stone building, which he purchased, and he generously donated the stone to the refurbishment project. It is widely suggested that the original Chapel dates back to 1745.
Teach Duchais was once a school, stable for the priest’s horse, sacristan’s house, shop, post office and now a parish community centre. Kate Dolan’s came to Drumeela in 1939 after she was appointed sacristan by Fr Pat McCabe and she subsequently started a shop in Drumeela. She was appointed Post Mistress in 1943. Kate remained in the house until her death in 1983. Following Kate’s death the building lay unoccupied for some years. A Teach Duchais Refurbishment Committee was appointed by Fr John A. Young in 1989. The refurbishment was successfully completed and was officially opened on 7th May 1990. The centre is now a vibrant parish meeting place and is used for all manner of activities and parish events.