Confessions after daily Mass or by request
Eucharistic Adoration on Monday 7.00 p.m. – 8.00 p.m
The first Church in Arva was commenced in 1846 by Rev. Thomas O’Reilly, P.P., parish priest from 1840 to 1849. It was not completed until late in 1849 due to the ravages of the Famine. In the meantime Mass was celebrated on a loft in a back-yard owned by Mr. William Norton. In 1856, the church was enlarged by Rev. John O’Reilly, P.P. (1853-1889)
On Rosary Sunday, 2 October 1927, Rt. Rev. Mgr. H. Brady, P.P., V.F., Crosserlough, laid the foundation stone of the present church of the Sacred Heart in the absence of the bishop, Dr. Patrick Finnegan, who was in Rome at the time. A special sermon was preached by Rev. W. Buchanan, C.C., Cavan. This was Fr. Judge’s second major building project in the parish within the space of a few years. On the 8 September 1927 the new Church was opened and dedicated.
This beautiful Romanesque church, built on the site of the old one was designed by Mr. W.H. Byrne & Son, Dublin, and built by Mr. Charles Doyle & Son, Mullingar. In it the architect made use of local green stone and used dressings of Dublin granite on the edges of the twin towers, doors and windows. The altar and altar-rails were presented by Mrs. Lynch, Merrion, Dublin, and Mrs. Johnston, Cornafean. A special sermon was preached on the occasion by Dr. Edward Maguire of the Maynooth Mission to China.